When: 3-11 April 2018
Where: Ogre, Latvia
The EIDP is looking for one participant from the Netherlands to take part in the training course ‘Debate for Understanding‘, organized by our Latvian partner organization ‘Tautasvara’.
Introduction to the topic: Today’s debates
Presidential debates, debates in the YouTube comment section and even the so-called “state of art” Oxford or Intelligence Squared debates have one thing in common – they are as popular as they are useless. People enjoy watching them rather as a wrestling match than a source of correct facts and arguments. People themselves are first to blame – as they aren’t ready to change their minds about such hotly debated topics as accepting refugees, climate change, Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership, sanctions against Russia. However, debaters too are guilty as most are mere pundits and spin-doctors who use rhetoric instead of logic, reply with ad hominem attacks or avoid the response altogether, even carefully craft lies to create confusion or prove their point to the gullible audience.
This training course will be based on experiential learning: experiencing different activities, facing different situations and coming to one’s own conclusions in a debate. It will promote the idea of collaborative (instead of competitive) debating, including:
- Understanding the opponent’s perspective,
- Helping your opponent by improving his arguments,
- Trying to disprove your own argument,
- Creating a practical format of real-time collaborative debating,
- Using online collaborative (wiki) debating tools,
- Psychology of changing minds (for good),
- Philosophy of truth in the debate framework,
- Being friendly, polite and ethical towards opponent,
- Detecting and disarming rhetorical tricks,
- Detecting logical mistakes and correcting them.
At the second half of the training participants are be expected to create their own collaborative debating event, material or tool which they must bring to their home country and organize as a follow-up activity with a real audience which participant will share online with other participants as well as to the general public as widely as possible. Selected participants are recommended to prepare an idea and discuss it with their sending organisation.
- Between 18 and 28 years old
- Dutch nationality and residing in the Netherlands at the moment of the project
- Fluent in English
- Active youth workers preferably related to the debate (e.g. organizers of debating events, leaders of debating clubs, think-tanks) or planning to introduce debating methods into their work.
Costs and reimbursement
Travel expenses will be reimbursed fully if you don’t exceed 275 EUR. After the approval of your application, our partner organization will send you detailed instructions how to get to Riga city and possible flight/bus options which after our approval you should book yourself as soon as possible before the price has skyrocketed. Travel reimbursement will be transferred in EUR currency to your bank account on April 12-19 when you have submitted all the tickets, boarding passes, invoices and receipts (we recommend to book all your tickets online and submit all these digital travel documents before/during the training).
The accommodation, 3 meals a day and coffee breaks will be covered fully by the fund “ERASMUS+” Mobility of Youth Workers.
The EIDP asks a participation fee of 55 EUR participation fee to be paid in advance of the training course.
Please apply by filling out the application form before the 25th of December 2017.
Make sure you include the following subjects in your motivation:
- Personal and professional background
- Why do you want to participate?
- What do you expect to learn?
- What can you contribute to the project?
- What are you planning to do with the acquired knowledge and skills?
- Idea for a debating event (one of the project objectives)
Based on the motivation and CV of the applicants, the EIDP will select one applicant. All applicants will be informed about the selection result in the first week of January.
Please do not hesitate to contact Mirjam Gietema (+31620645647 or email@example.com) in case you have any questions related to this training course.